Why It Works
- Laying a paper towel on the surface of the radishes keeps them submerged in the brine, for more effective quick-pickling.
- Using a cold brine retains the crisp, raw snap and bright color of the thinly sliced radishes.
These quick and easy pickled watermelon radishes add bright flavor to all sorts of dishes, along with a beautiful burst of color.
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (120ml)
- 1/2 cup water (120ml)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (13g)
- 8-10 medium to large watermelon radishes, peeled and sliced thinly crosswise
In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar until sugar and salt are fully dissolved. Add the radishes and toss to coat. Lay a clean paper towel on the surface to keep the radishes submerged. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes before serving. Pickled radishes can be packed into a jar with their brine and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
You can substitute other types of radishes here, if desired (no need to peel them if they have delicate skins).