Satisfying and dense, this cake is crowned with a granola-based topping that melts and increases in crunchiness as it bakes, turning into a cookie-like shell. Peanut butter, cake, cookie—get all your cravings satisfied in a single bite.
Note: Do not use natural peanut butter as it will negatively affect the texture of the cake. Use your preferred brand and type of granola in this recipe.
Peanut Butter Granola Snack Cake Recipe
- For the Topping:
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (See note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granola (See note)
- For the Cake:
- Baking spray
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (See Notes)
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
For the Topping: With fork, combine flour, sugar, butter, peanut butter, and salt. Add granola and work into mixture with fingertips.
For the Cake: Coat 13- by 9-inch baking pan with baking spray.
In large bowl, beat butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Decrease mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add vanilla and beat mixture on medium speed just to combine, about 15 seconds.
Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping and press gently into batter.
Bake until cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan set on rack for 15 minutes and serve.
13- by 9-inch baking pan, electric mixer, rubber spatula