Why It Works
- Stirring a cocktail with ice adds water to dilute the drink. Since this cocktail is chilled in a big batch, that water is added as an ingredient before chilling.
- Making cocktails in advance allows guests to serve themselves.
Old Fashioned cocktails, made with bourbon or rye, are great for making a big batch in advance of a party, so they're perfect for fall or winter gatherings.
- 1 (750ml) bottle bourbon or rye
- 1 ounce (30ml) simple syrup (see note)
- 10 to 12 dashes Angostura bitters
- 4 ounces (120ml) water
Using a funnel, add entire contents of bourbon or rye bottle to an empty sealable 1-liter bottle. Add simple syrup, bitters, and water and seal. Shake well to mix and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To serve, fill glasses with ice, if desired. Pour 2 to 3 ounces per glass.
Sealable 1-liter bottle, funnel
To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.