- 10 ounces octopus, about 2 to 3 inches each in length
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
- For the dressing:
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley or dill
- 2 cloves garlic, grated with microplane zester
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Wash octopus and cut heads into 1/4 inch slices. Cut tentacles into 1/2 inch or so segments. Heat skillet over high heat and add a teaspoon or so of olive oil. Add one half or one third of the octopus to the skillet and sear on one side for 30 or so seconds before moving the segments in the pan. Work in two or three batches depending on the size of your skillet to prevent crowding. Set octopus aside and let cool.
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Add the octopus to the bowl and toss to distribute the dressing evenly. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving or keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
14 inch or larger heavy skillet or sauté pan