- Nik Sharma is a molecular biologist, cookbook author and food photographer who has contributed to Serious Eats since 2020.
- His first cookbook, Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food, was a finalist for a James Beard Foundation award and an International Association of Culinary Professionals award.
- Nik writes the multi-award-winning blog, A Brown Table. He also writes a monthly column for the San Francisco Chronicle and contributes the New York Times, Food52, and The Guardian.
Nik Sharma is a molecular biologist turned cookbook author (Season and The Flavor Equation) and food photographer who's been writing for Serious Eats since 2020. Nik left his career in biomedical research behind to pursue a career cooking, food writing, and photography, in which he uses his background in biochemistry to understand flavor. He writes the multi-award-winning blog, A Brown Table and also contributes to the New York Times, Food52, and The Guardian.
Prior to this Nik wrote a recipe column for the San Francisco Chronicle. He hates doing the dishes with a passion and is currently working on two new cookbooks. When not cooking or writing, you can find Nik gardening or working to keep his two cats and dog comfortable and happy (because they're demanding).
Nik's Desert Island Food: "Ice cream - I can't believe I need to explain this but ice cream is the most important food group. It has to be passion fruit or a tart lemon."
Awards & Publications
A Brown Table:
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) - Winner Best Photo Based Blog – 2016
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) - Winner Best Photo Based Blog – 2015
- Saveur - Finalist Best Photography 2015
A Brown Kitchen, a column for the San Francisco Chronicle:
- Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) - Best Food Column - 2019
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) – San Francisco Chronicle – A Brown Kitchen – Best Food Column - Finalist 2018
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) – San Francisco Chronicle –A Brown Kitchen – Best Food Media – Finalist 2017
The Flavor Equation (2020):
- The Art of Eating Award 2021 Longlist
- Cookery Book of the Year - Delicious U.K.
- James Beard Awards for Photography, Finalist 2019,
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) - Julia Child First Cookbook Award - Finalist 2019
Nik started out in biomedical research and has graduate degrees in Molecular Genetics (University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine) and Public Policy (Health econometrics/MPP - McCourt School of Public Policy, Georgetown University). He worked as a researcher at Georgetown University and later at a pharmaceutical startup.
About Serious Eats
Serious Eats, a Dotdash brand, is an award-winning food and drink website visited by over 7 million hungry readers every month. Our audience comes to us for rigorously tested recipes, science-driven cooking techniques, robust equipment reviews, and stories that offer cultural and historical context to the foods we love to eat.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.