This variation on the classic Brunswick cocktail from Ehren Ashkenazi of The Modern in NYC features fresh grapefruit juice along with rye whiskey. Ashkenazi uses Lillet Rouge to balance it out, but we like the richness of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth instead.
Note: To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce Rittenhouse Rye or other high-proof rye whiskey
- 1 barspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 barspoon simple syrup (see note)
- 1 ounce Lillet Rouge or Carpano Antica Vermouth
- 2 dashes grapefruit bitters
Pour grapefruit juice, rye, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until well chilled, about 15 seconds. Strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Top with Lillet Rouge or Carpano and add 2 dashes grapefruit bitters. Serve.
cocktail shaker and strainer