This gooey chocolate cake for two, loaded with whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate and caramel sauce more than delivers. And it couldn't be easier to make.
Why this recipe works:
- No special equipment required—just a whisk and a rubber spatula.
- By serving the cake in the ramekin, you don't have to worry about whether it will unmold properly.
Note: Cooking for more than two? This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or even quintupled—heck, you could make a hundred of them if you had enough ramekins. Just scale the ingredients accordingly, and then pour into multiple 4-ounce ramekins (making a larger cake in a single larger ramekin will throw off cooking times given here).
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (18 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (12 grams) all-purpose flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Ice cream, for serving
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Hulled and quartered fresh strawberries, for serving
- Store-bough or homemade salted caramel sauce, for serving
- Store-bought or homemade hot fudge sauce, for serving
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 390°F.
Melt chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl); alternatively, melt chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl in the microwave, stirring after every 20 second-interval. Once fully melted, whisk in powdered sugar (it's okay if it looks a little bit lumpy).
Separate the egg into two small bowls. Whisk the egg white briefly with a fork, then add half the egg white to the yolk. Discard the remaining half of the egg white.
Add the yolk and half the egg white to the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. Add flour and salt and whisk until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into a 4-ounce ramekin. Bake until the cake is set around the edges but still molten within, about 12 minutes. Let cool for 1 minute before adding toppings. Serve immediately.
1 ramekin with 1/2 cup (4 ounce) capacity