Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Thanksgiving Menu
- Forty-Five Minute Roast Turkey
- Turkey Gravy
- Favorite Bread Stuffing
- Cranberry Relish with Orange and Ginger
- Potato Gratin
- Wheat Berries with Walnuts
- Raw Beet Salad
- 3 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1/2 cup or more stock, white wine, or water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the butter, Brussels sprouts, and stock in a deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and adjust the heat so the mixture simmers; cook until the sprouts are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes, checking once or twice and adding liquid as needed.
Uncover and raise the heat to boil off all the liquid so that the vegetables become glazed and eventually browned. Resist the urge to stir them frequently; just let them sizzle until golden and crisp, then shake the pan and loosen them to roll them over. It’s okay if some sides are more well done than others. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve hot or at room temperature.