These marinated artichoke hearts are light, punchy, and so good dropped into a springy pasta salad.
- 12 ounces trimmed artichoke hearts (8 to 10 small hearts)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, water and salt and bring to a boil. Place garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns and red chili flakes in the bottom of a jar that can hold at least 1 1/2 pints. Pack trimmed artichoke hearts into the jar where you've placed the spices. Pour hot pickling liquid over the artichoke hearts and tap gently to dislodge any air bubbles.
Pour olive oil into jar until the artichoke hearts are covered. Place a lid on the jar and shake to help distribute oil. Let jar sit on counter until cool. Once cool, refrigerate.
Let artichokes marinate for at least 24 hours before eating. Marinated artichokes will keep for at least one week in the refrigerator.