Note: Chicken drumsticks and thighs, or whole chicken legs, can be substituted for the whole chicken.
- For the chicken:
- 10 cloves garlic (6 left whole, 4 grated or minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves, plus 1 whole sprig
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts (drums, thighs, and breasts, or a combination)
- 4 tablesopons unsalted butter
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch chunks
Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven for 15 minutes.
In large bowl, stir grated garlic, rosemary, zest, salt, pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, place butter in cast iron skillet and return to oven until melted, about 2 minutes. Add potatoes, garlic, rosemary, and salt, and stir to coat. Spread potatoes out into single layer and place on lower-middle rack. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove potatoes, toss with a spoon to turn and coat with butter, then return to upper-middle rack.
When potatoes have been transferred to upper-middle rack, prepare the chicken. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until well browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Reserve any lemon-rosemary mixture left in the chicken marinating bowl.
Using tongs, turn chicken pieces over. Add carrots and remaining lemon-rosemary mixture to pan, and transfer to lower-middle rack in oven.
Continue roasting until potatoes are fully cooked and golden and carrots are tender, about 25 minutes longer. As cooking time approaches end, check chicken pieces for doneness with an instant-read thermometer, removing chicken pieces as they finish cooking (155°F for breast meat, 170°F for legs and drumsticks), and keeping them warm on a plate covered in heavy duty foil. Serve potatoes and carrots with cooked chicken pieces.
12 inch skillet, 10-inch cast iron skillet, tongs