Toasted bread with sweet and nutty broiled kale, topped with a fried egg and Parmesan cheese.
- 4 slices of hearty bread, such as French pain au levain or sourdough
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic split in half, and 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart of finely sliced kale leaves (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
- 1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat broiler to high and adjust rack to 6 inches below element. Brush bread slices on all sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rub with split garlic clove on all surfaces. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan and broil until golden brown and toasted on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and broil until second side is toasted, about 2 minutes longer.
Toss kale with 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and massage with hands to coat evenly. Pile dressed kale on top of toasted bread, covering entire surface. Return to broiler and broil until kale is wilted and charred, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium non-stick or cast iron skillet until shimmering. Add eggs and cook until whites are set but yolk is still runny, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place 1 egg on top of each slice of kale and toast. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.