Serious Eats is seeking an experienced editor to join its New York City–based team. The editor will be responsible for a combination of pitching and writing their own content, managing freelance writers, and copyediting. The ideal candidate is passionate about food and cooking, has experience working with freelance writers, excels at writing and shaping original content, and has the creativity and adaptability to bring those traits together in a fast-paced digital-media environment. An interest in appearing on camera is a big plus. Salary and title will be dependent on experience.
- Assigns and edits feature (non-recipe) content at every stage, from fielding/assigning pitches to editing and copyediting to scheduling articles for publication
- Devises shot/illustration lists for art to accompany feature stories
- Pitches and authors new content for the site, including reported feature articles
- Writes/edits other copy as needed for landing pages, content packages, and other team projects
- Works with visual team to conceptualize and produce video content for site and social
- Copyedits new articles and recipes for errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization, as well as for clarity and consistency with Serious Eats's voice, style guide, and previously published content
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Minimum two years experience in digital media, preferably with a focus on food and cooking
- Proficiency in content management systems like WordPress
- Understanding of basic HTML
- Strong critical-thinking skills and an eagerness to take a critical, exhaustive approach to researching and completing assigned stories
- Understanding of digital and social media and awareness of online content in the food and drink space
- High degree of flexibility, positivity, and collaborative and organizational skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-changing environment and switch quickly between different tasks
- Culinary school and/or professional cooking experience a plus
To apply, send your resume and relevant clips to [email protected] the subject line "Features Editor" .
Social Media Manager
Serious Eats is looking for an energetic and creative Social Media Manager to join our team in Industry City, Brooklyn. The Social Media Manager is responsible for increasing audience engagement and brand recognition through the use of social media platforms and email marketing.
- Creates daily content for social platforms according to best practices on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Strategizes with editorial, visual, and marketing teams to maintain growth and meet yearly KPIs, providing feedback on top-performing posts and engagement.
- Monitors posting types and frequency, community engagement, while embodying our brand voice on all outward facing channels.
- Leads newsletter production to grow subscriber base, develop new programs, direct new traffic to Serious Eats, and capitalize on e-commerce opportunities.
- Monitors metrics to analyze performance, develop strategy, and guide experimentation.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other media outlets to drive cross-promotional opportunities.
- 1-2 years minimum experience in social media execution and strategy
- Strong knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube, and Reddit
- Experience in Facebook Creative Studio, Tweetdeck, Instagram Analytics, Later, Pinterest Analytics, Tailwind, Youtube Studio, and Campaign Monitor strongly encouraged
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional and remote teams
- Highly organized and team-oriented
- Loving food is also a plus!
To apply, email us at [email protected].
Serious Eats provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.