Front End Developer
Serious Eats is seeking a web developer with a minimum of 3 years of experience to join our small, nimble product team in our fun/casual/fast-paced/occasionally chaotic/dog-friendly/food-loving office in Industry City, Brooklyn. We favor generalists over specialists and, above all, we’re looking for someone with a desire to learn and improve. You'll be responsible for:
- Translating prototypes and mockups to production-level code.
- Building and maintaining SeriousEats.com and the systems that support it.
- Improving the speed and efficiency of the site.
- Participating in creative design process with design, editorial, marketing, and ad sales.
- Advanced HTML and CSS/SCSS
- Enthusiastic collaborator and communicator
- Responsive web design / mobile-first mentality
- Git/Github experience
- Familiarity with the command line (OS X, Ubuntu)
- WordPress / PHP
- Python (Django, Cheetah)
- RESTful APIs
- Grunt, Bower
- Amazon AWS (EC2, S3, ELB)
- Google Analytics
- Google DFP
- SEO best practices
- A love of food and cooking
Interested? Let us know why you would be a valuable member of the Serious Eats team, what you've been working on recently, and which aspects of the job interest you most.
To apply, email us at [email protected].
Social Media Intern
Serious Eats is seeking a part-time social media intern to join our team for Fall 2019. The social media intern must be able to work out of our Brooklyn-based offices, and will support our social media editor (and the rest of the team!) with day-to-day scheduling tasks and special projects.
The ideal candidate is passionate about telling stories about food through the lens of social media in all its forms. They're also a quick learner who's familiar with—and able to adopt—the Serious Eats voice and tone. The social media intern should be a creative and naturally inquisitive person who enjoys taking the reins on a project, can thrive in a fast-paced digital media environment, and knows how to work in conjunction with a larger team. Of course, the ability to deliver clean copy is a must.
- Assists in managing social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Reddit, YouTube, and the newsletter program
- Assists with content aggregation
- Creates visual assets for Pinterest and other platforms as necessary
- Aids in compiling and parsing daily, weekly, and monthly analytics across platforms
- Located in NYC
- Practical social media experience, existing presence on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, YouTube a plus
- Proficiency in Facebook Creator Studio and Business Manager, Twitter Ads Manager, Pinterest Ads Manager, Reddit moderation a plus
- Basic proficiency with Wordpress, Google Office Suite, Photoshop, video editing (iMovie, After Effects, Final Cut all applicable), photography
Why do you want to work for us? Because we're fun! Come share your music tastes, eat free food from our test kitchens, and play with our office dogs at our home base in Industry City.
Fall 2019 (Early September through Mid-December), 20 hours/week, $15 hourly pay
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Serious Eats provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.