[Photograph: Prasanna Sankhe]
Note: Indian black salt (kala namak) can be found in Indian grocers or ordered online.
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (see note)
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons toasted and ground cumin seeds (divided)
- 1 Serrano chilli lightly bruised (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, black salt, salt and 11/2 teaspoons of the cumin powder until lightly frothy. Add the Serrano chilli (if using) and chopped coriander leaves. Stir. Pour into glasses. Sprinkle the remaining cumin powder in each glass and top each with a coriander leaf. Serve immediately.