- Do not substitute cream of coconut for the coconut milk; it will make the coquito too sweet.
- Add rum to taste—and tolerance!
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (2 inch long) piece ginger, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk (see notes)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup white rum (see notes)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus additional for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg, plus additional for garnish
Bring evaporated milk, cloves, cinnamon stick, and ginger to boil over medium-high heat in small saucepan. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes. Strain milk and discard solids. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
Place spiced milk, sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, rum, egg yolks, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in blender and blend until fully combined and foamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve chilled and dust with additional cinnamon and nutmeg if desired.