The holiday season is fast approaching.
Did your stomach just drop? Did your chest seize with anxiety? Did you jump up and down with gleeful joy? No matter. Whether you dread hosting or simply can't wait, we've got some crucial basics that will make your life a whole lot easier (and make your food look—and taste—a whole lot better).
For Prep and Planning
When you spend all day shopping for and preparing a holiday roast, you want to know how to serve it in beautiful, appetizing portions. Learn how to carve everything from turkey to lamb, put together the ultimate shopping list, and prep easy garnishes for a presentation that does all your hard work justice.
- 4 Basic Knife Cuts Every Cook Should Know
- How to Break Down a Chicken
- The Complete Guide to Thanksgiving Planning
- Thanksgiving Pantry Essentials
- How to Cook a Spatchcocked Turkey: The Fastest, Easiest Thanksgiving Turkey
- The Complete Guide to Buying, Storing, and Cooking Prime Rib
- How to Carve a Prime Rib Like a Pro
- The Complete Guide to Picking and Cooking a Holiday Ham
- The Complete Guide To Buying, Storing, and Cooking a Leg of Lamb
Meat and cheese platters always sound like an easy pre-dinner idea...until you're staring down a vast and intimidating selection. Here's how to recognize and pair ingredients, plus tips for showing off their good sides.
- How to Assemble an Awesome Vegetable Platter
- How to Pair Cured Meat and Cheese
- Guide to Olive Types
- How to Make the Ultimate Thanksgiving Cheese Plate
As a host, you want to make sure to have enough drinks for everyone—without having to shake or stir each cocktail to order. These guides help you calculate how much booze to buy, plus how to pair your feast with the best beers, wines, ciders, and more.
- The Serious Eats Guide to Essential Cocktail Techniques
- How to Plan the Ultimate Cocktail Party With Our Booze-o-Matic Drink Calculator
- Thanksgiving Wine Made Easy
- Corked, Cooked, Bretty, Bad: How to Spot 7 Common Wine Flaws
- Holiday Wine Pairing Advice: What to Drink With Ham, Lamb, Prime Rib, and More
- The Serious Eats Cheese and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet
- The Serious Eats Guide to Holiday Beer Pairing
- Stock Up for the Holidays With These Go-To Spirits
Oh, hello beautiful lattice pie crust and adorable crimped edges. What's that? You want to decorate some Christmas cookies? We can guide you. And yes, we totally do have the only pie crust recipe you'll ever need.
- How to Decorate Cookies with Royal Icing
- The Only Pie Dough You'll Ever Need
- Pie 101: Edge Crimping
- How to Shape Pie Crust (and Make a Lattice Top)
- How to Make Spun Sugar
- How to Make a Cornet (Paper Cone) for Cake Decorating
- Piping 101