This one-pot dish of chickpeas in a spicy harissa sauce with a fried egg doesn't just have to be breakfast: It's delicious for any meal of the day. It comes together in less than 15 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal: easy, filling, and delicious.
How to Make Sunny-Side Up Fried Eggs
Why this recipe works:
- Using harissa, a concentrated pepper-and-spice paste, packs in lots of flavor in almost no time.
- Tossing the arugula with the chickpeas just before serving ensures that the leaves don't become overly wilted.
- Toasted pita provides a substantial base to soak up the juices and gooey yolk.
Note: You can toast the pitas over the flame, in a toaster/toaster oven, or under the broiler until slightly crisp.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- ½ cup homemade chicken or vegetable stock or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup baby arugula, plus more for garnish
- 4 whole wheat pitas, toasted
- ½ cup cilantro leaves and tender sprigs, for garnish
Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in an enameled cast iron Dutch oven or large non-stick saucepan until shimmering. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add harissa and stir to combine. Add stock and chickpeas, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid reduces slightly, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape chickpeas into a serving dish and stir in lemon juice.
Wipe out the saucepan, add another tablespoon oil and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add eggs, cover, and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 1 minute.
Stir arugula into the chickpeas. Arrange pitas on plates, top with chickpeas and fried eggs, garnish with cilantro and extra arugula leaves, and serve immediately.
Dutch oven or large nonstick skillet