Tender grilled zucchini gets topped with a light, refreshing dressing of olives, fresh parsley, olive oil and lemon.
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2" thick disks or quartered, lengthwise
- Olive oil, for brushing zucchini
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon juice and 1 teaspoon zest from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons black olives, preferably oil-cured, pitted and sliced in half
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, preheat a gas grill to high, covered, for at least 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
Using a pastry brush, brush zucchini with olive oil on both sides, and season to taste with salt and pepper. When grill is hot, add zucchini slices and cook, covered, until zucchini is well-browned on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip slices and cook, covered, until zucchini is well-browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer zucchini to a serving platter.
Squeeze lemon juice and drizzle olive oil over zucchini. Sprinkle on olives, parsley and lemon zest and serve immediately.
grill, pastry brush