Notes:For best results, use good quality, ripe tomatoes. Some baguettes are more dense than others. If the salad seems dry after letting it sit for 15 minutes, mix up a half recipe of the vinaigrette and add to the salad until moistened and flavorful.
- 1 (9-ounce) baguette, halved lengthwise
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless, chicken breast (about 2 large breast halves)
- 10 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds tomatoes (about 4 to 5 large), cored, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 English cucumber, halved, cut into 1/2-inch half moons
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 3/4 cup basil leaves, roughly torn
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Heat grill to moderate heat. Place baguette halves on grill, cut side down, and grill until lightly toasted. Transfer to cutting board and let cool. Cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes and reserve.
Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill both sides until just cooked through (160°F). Transfer to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes.
Place tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, olives, basil, bread, and chicken in a large bowl. Whisk remaining 9 tablespoons oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until combined.
Pour over salad and toss thoroughly to moisten. Let salad sit 15 minutes. Season to taste and serve.