This grilled cabbage has a great texture that's both soft and crisp, with the smoky flavor of its gently charred edges. It's made even better by a ginger-miso dressing that's sweet, salty, earthy, and tangy.
Why this recipe works:
- Cutting the cabbage into wedges with the root intact helps it stay together on the grill.
- Starting the cabbage over direct high heat chars the outer leaves, then roasting it over indirect heat softens the insides a little, while retaining a nice crunch.
- A ginger-miso dressing sinks between the leaves of the cabbage, giving each bite a great sweet and salty flavor.
- For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- For the Cabbage:
- 1 medium head of green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges with the core left intact
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: medium-high
For the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, miso, vinegar, mirin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, and white pepper. Set aside.
For the Cabbage: Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place cabbage wedges on hot side of grill and cook, covered, until well charred on first side, about 2 minutes. Flip cabbage, cover, and cook until charred on second side, another 2 minutes. Flip wedges to third side, cover, and cook until well charred, another 2 minutes. Transfer cabbage to cooler side of grill, cover, and continue cooking until mostly tender but still crunchy in center, about 4 minutes longer.
Transfer cabbage to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with sauce, garnish with scallion, and serve immediately.