- 1/4 cup blanched whole almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 medium garlic cloves, grated on a microplane grater (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
Set heavy skillet set over medium-low heat. Add almonds and toast, tossing frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes total. Let cool to room temperature then chop finely.
In a small bowl, combine chopped almonds, chopped parsley, grated garlic, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. If using a gas grill, preheat the grill to high.
While grill is preheating, place asparagus in a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, coating evenly. Season with salt.
Add asparagus to grill and cook, turning occasionally, until well charred and tender, about 6 minutes total depending on the thickness of the stalks. Transfer asparagus to a serving platter and spoon the prepared gremolata over the top. Serve immediately.