Moist and tender, the flavor from this loaf comes from the combination of whole grain gluten-free flours, cocoa powder, and freshly grated zucchini.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (about 5 ounces) brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (about 2.5 ounces) sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/4 cup (.75 ounces) cocoa powder, natural or dutch-process
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup gluten-free, dairy-free milk (almond, soy, or rice milk)
- 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated zucchini
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. In small bowl, whisk together ground flax seed and water. Set aside.
In large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, dark brown sugar, sorghum flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and xanthan gum. Add ground flax seed mixture, oil, and dairy-free milk. Whisk to combine. Batter will be thick. Switch to a rubber spatula, and stir in grated zucchini. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
Bake until loaf is set and a cake tester comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Allow loaf to cool in pan for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
9- by 5-inch loaf pan