Dense cream cheese holds its shape and creates lovely little pockets of warm, oozing cheese throughout the cooked pancakes.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) white rice flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup (1.75 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (for dairy-free, replace with dairy-free milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 teaspoon size pieces OR 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
In a medium bowl, whisk together white rice flour, cornstarch, sweet rice flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and xathan gum. Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
Lightly oil a flat griddle pan. Heat griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter, approximately 1/4 cup, onto griddle. Batter should "sizzle" when it hits the pan. Dot the surface of each pancake with a few pieces of cheese or small 1/2 teaspoon dots of ricotta.
Cook for approximately 3 minutes. Flip pancakes when bubbles appear all over the surface of the pancake and begin to pop. The pancake should begin to look almost dry. Flip and cook another 1-1 1/2 minutes.