Why It Works
- The baking-spice notes of Angostura bitters deepen amaretto's nuttiness.
- Lemon and ginger cut through amaretto's sweetness.
- With a lower proof than most cocktails, this drink is perfect for entertaining guests who want a lighter drink.
It's time to give amaretto another chance in this updated version of the classic Amaretto Sour.
- 1 (1-inch) knob of ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 3/4 ounces freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 2 1/4 ounces amaretto, such as Disaronno
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 egg white
- Crystallized ginger, for garnish
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the rounds of ginger with lemon juice. Add the amaretto, bitters, and egg white. Shake hard to incorporate the egg white for 20 seconds, then fill shaker 2/3 of the way with ice and shake for an additional 20 seconds. Strain drink through a standard cocktail strainer and a fine-mesh strainer into two small aperitif glasses. Garnish each glass with a piece of crystallized ginger.
muddler, small strainer, cocktail shaker