Why It Works
- Toasting whole spices creates better flavor than mixing pre-ground spices.
This basic spice mixture can be used to flavor a variety of curries, braises, and other Indian dishes.
- 6 to 8 green cardamom pods, green husks removed and discarded
- 2 tablespoons (20g) whole coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon (10g) whole cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon (12g) whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon (4g) whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon (4g) fennel seed
- 1 (3-inch) stick of cinnamon (6g)
- 1 star anise pod (1g)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) ground nutmeg or mace
Place cardamom, coriander, cumin, peppercorns, cloves, fennel, cinnamon, and anise in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Cook, tossing frequently, until aromatic and toasted-smelling, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Add ground nutmeg. Grind into a fine powder. Garam masala can be stored in an airtight, light-free container for up to 6 months.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.