Why This Recipe Works
- Depending on the combinations of fruit, spices, liquor, vinegar, and other seasonings you choose, this recipe can be adapted in an infinite number of ways.
- Dark spiced rum adds depth and flavor to the salad, while any harshness from the alcohol is balanced out by sweet honey and fruit.
For best results, use fruit that is ripe but not overripe or mushy. Salad can be made up to 6 hours in advance and stored, covered, in the fridge.
Fruit Salad With Spiced Rum and Mint Recipe
Become a maceration master.
- 4 tablespoons dark spiced rum
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, such as Maldon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 Macintosh or Fuji apple, cored and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 banana, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large peach, pitted and peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
In a large bowl, whisk together rum, honey, and Maldon salt until combined. Add fruit and mint and stir gently to coat with rum mixture. Cover and chill to macerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours, until fruit has softened slightly and flavor has been absorbed. Serve immediately.