Why This Recipe Works
- Fresh thyme adds an herbal note that brings out the earthiness of the melon.
- A touch of floral liqueur highlights the fruit's natural sweetness and aroma.
- Salt and lemon juice round out the overall flavor.
Whether it's served over warm ricotta, with thin slices of prosciutto, or as a topping for ajo blanco, this simple summer salad makes the most of fresh summer melon.
Fresh Cantaloupe and Honeydew Salad With Lemon and Thyme Recipe
- 2 cups diced cantaloupe (about 12 ounces; 340g)
- 2 cups diced honeydew melon (about 10 ounces; 285g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) floral liqueur, such as chrysanthemum or elderflower liqueur (see note)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) lemon juice or good-quality cider vinegar (see note)
Toss cantaloupe, honeydew, thyme, salt, liqueur, and lemon together in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to meld, then toss again to serve. Pair with fresh ricotta as a salad, with thin slices of prosciutto as canapé, or with panna cotta as dessert.
In place of the liqueur and lemon juice or cider, you can use an equal amount of crisp white wine or rosé.