Why It Works
- Salty aged goat cheese pairs perfectly with ripe figs. Almonds add crunch, and hot honey brings out the jamminess of the fruit.
There's not really much to this simple but excellent dish: perfect figs, a little salty aged goat cheese for contrast, some Marcona almonds for crunch, and a drizzle of Mike's Hot Honey. A little olive oil and salt and a few random herbs from the garden finish it off.
- 12 ounces best-quality ripe figs, split in half
- 3 ounces aged goat cheese, such as crottin, torn into small pieces
- Small handful Marcona almonds, split with a knife
- 1 to 2 tablespoons picked small thyme leaves or torn basil leaves
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Mike's Hot Honey or regular honey
Arrange figs, goat cheese, almonds, and basil or thyme leaves on a serving platter. Sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt and drizzle with olive oil and honey. Serve.