Most produce is a sad sight during the winter, except for citrus. We whipped up this tangerine vinaigrette to celebrate one of the few fruits that's best this time of year, then served it on a simple salad of shaved fennel and radicchio.
Why this recipe works:
- A blend of fresh tangerine and lemon juices creates a dressing with a perfect 3:1 ratio of oil to acid for a perfectly smooth emulsion that's both tart enough (thanks to the lemon juice) and flavorful enough (thanks to the tangerine juice).
- Tangerine zest and ground fennel seed add an extra hit of flavor and complexity.
- 1 head fennel, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 medium head radicchio, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tangerine and Fennel Vinaigrette
In a large salad bowl, combine thinly sliced fennel and radicchio and season with salt and pepper. Whisk or shake vinaigrette to emulsify, then drizzle a small amount into salad bowl. Using clean hands, toss salad to coat, adding more vinaigrette as needed until fennel and radicchio are thoroughly coated but not dripping. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve immediately. Any leftover vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.