This cocktail from Gramercy Tavern is a shout out to apple season, made more complex with the addition of thyme-infused simple syrup.
For more recipes, check out Fantastic Fall Cocktail Recipes from Gramercy Tavern in NYC »
- For the thyme simple syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- For the cocktail
- 1 ounce bourbon, such as Bulleit
- 1 ounce calvados or Laird's bonded apple brandy
- 1 ounce fresh apple cider
- 1/2 ounce thyme simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Dash Angostura bitters
- Garnish: dried or fresh apple slice (optional)
Place sugar and water in small saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add thyme. Steep for 15 minutes (tasting for intensity of flavor) and strain out thyme. Refrigerate to chill.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add bourbon, calvados or apple brandy, cider, thyme syrup, lemon, and bitters. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with fresh or dried apple if desired.
fine-mesh strainer, cocktail shaker and strainer