Why It Works
- Using flour tortillas as the base for the pizza means you don't have to spend time making, stretching, or rolling your own dough.
- The cast iron skillet is the ideal pan for baking this pizza, catching all of the little bits of cheese that melt out around the edges, forming a crisp, browned edge.
Bar pies are the ideal pizza for those who love thin crusts, and while making them from scratch is doable, sometimes you just need that pizza NOW. Far from being a compromise, tortilla-based pizzas are in fact the ideal quick and easy way to make a super-crisp, extra-thin crust for a full-on pizza experience in under 15 minutes from start to finish.
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (10-inch) flour tortilla
- 1/4 cup (60ml) store-bought or homemade pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 ounces (45g) shredded whole milk low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce (30g) finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 ounces (55g) thinly sliced pepperoni
- 3 ounces (85g) raw sweet or hot Italian sausage, formed into 1/2-inch balls
- 2 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
Adjust oven rack to 6 to 8 inches below broiler element and preheat broiler to high. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium and wipe out excess oil with a paper towel.
Place tortilla in skillet with the rougher textured-side facing down. Spread sauce evenly over tortilla all the way to the edges. Spread mozzarella and half of Parmesan evenly over tortilla all the way to the edges. Season lightly with salt. Sprinkle with onion and bell pepper. Lay pepperoni and sausage pieces over pizza. Scatter with basil.
Place skillet under broiler and broil until sausage is cooked through and cheese is melted and starting to brown in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Using a small metal spatula, gently pry edges of pizza loose, releasing the cheese from the skillet. Peek under bottom. If more crispness is desired, place skillet over medium heat and cook, swirling pizza and peeking occasionally, until desired crispness is achieved. Slide pizza out onto a cutting board. Cut and serve immediately.
Large cast-iron skillet
Make-Ahead and Storage
This pizza is best enjoyed right away.