Turkey and Brussels sprouts are a natural pair that should be brought out more than once a year. In this recipe, we combine them with gooey melted cheese and pickled jalapeños in a light and crispy quesadilla.
Why this recipe works:
- Charring the Brussels sprouts gives them a nutty sweetness that complements the roast turkey.
- Mixing all of your ingredients before stuffing the tortillas helps the melted cheese bind every bite.
- The key to great, puffy, crisp quesadillas is moderate heat and enough oil to brown each side evenly.
- We season each side of the quesadilla with salt as soon as it is cooked; The heat helps the salt stick in place.
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts (about 6 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) roughly chopped or torn roast turkey
- 2 pickled jalapeños, finely minced
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) grated Jack, Cheddar, or Oaxacan string cheese
- 2 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought salsa verde
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium cast iron or stainless steel skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. Add Brussels sprouts, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing and stirring occasionally, until wilted and lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
Allow Brussels sprouts to cool slightly, then add turkey, jalapeños, and cheese. Toss with hands until thoroughly combined.
Spread half of cheese mixture over one half of one tortilla, leaving a small border around the edge. Fold tortilla firmly in half to enclose the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortilla.
Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully add both folded tortillas to skillet and cook, shaking pan gently until first side is golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully fip tortillas with a flexible slotted spatula, sprinkle with salt, and cook on second side until golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to rest 1 minutes. Cut each into four pieces and serve with salsa verde.