A double stacked burger with three mini bacon-filled grilled cheese sandwiches in place of buns.
The Double Bacon Hamburger Fatty Melt Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh ground beef chuck
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Very Thin Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (recipe here), with 2 crisp bacon slices sandwiched in them
- 4 crisp slices bacon, cut in half
- 2 slices American cheee
Divide beef into 2 equal parts. Shape into square patties slightly larger than the grilled cheese sandwiches that will serve as buns. Create a slight indentation in the center of the patties.
Season patties on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. Add hamburger patties and cook, turning occasionally, until well browned and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center registers 125°F for medium-rare or 135°F for medium, 5 to 6 minutes total. Add 2 slices of bacon and 1 slice of cheese to the top of each patty. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Stack burger patty on top of grilled cheese sandwich, top with second grilled cheese sandwich, add second burger patty, close with remaining grilled cheese sandwich, and serve.