Why It Works
- All the convenience of a package of instant noodles, but with better ingredients and better flavor.
- By keeping the dill separate from the rest of the ingredients, you can stir it into the hot soup for bright, fresh, layered flavor.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken, rice noodles (or par-cooked ramen or Italian noodles), and frozen peas make for quick and easy prep.
This pot of noodles, flavored with roast chicken, peas, and onions, can be made ahead and taken to work. Just add boiling water, seal it up for three minutes, add the contents of the fresh-herb packet, and you've got a hot lunch ready.
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) high-quality chicken base, such as Better Than Bouillon
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces (340g) shredded chicken meat from 1 rotisserie chicken
- 4 small nests rice noodles or precooked ramen or Italian pasta (see note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh dill leaves
Divide chicken base, peas, onion, chicken, and noodles evenly between 4 resealable glass jars. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Divide dill between 4 small zipper-lock bags and seal bags, squeezing out all of the air. Tuck bags into jars and seal. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
When ready to serve, remove dill packet and add boiling water to the top of the jar. Seal jar and let sit 2 minutes. Open jar, stir in dill, and serve.
4 resealable 1-pint glass jars
Dry Thai or Vietnamese rice noodles can be used with no prep. Alternatively, use precooked and chilled ramen-style noodles or fresh Italian pasta. Cook the fresh noodles in boiling water for 1 minute, shock in cold water, drain well, toss with 2 teaspoons (10ml) oil until coated, then proceed with step 1.