Why It Works
- Date molasses is less sweet and more complex in flavor than simple syrup.
- Amontillado sherry's nutty and dry characteristics complement the rich dates.
Date molasses, which is made of nothing but dates, is your secret ingredient to a rich, nutty fall cocktail in this riff on the Martinez.
- 1 1/2 ounces amontillado dry sherry, such as Lustau
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, such as Ford’s
- 3/4 ounce date molasses
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- Orange peel, for garnish
Fill a mixing glass 2/3 with ice, then pour in sherry, gin and date molasses. Add the dashes of Peychaud’s and stir 20 seconds to chill. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Twist orange peel over top of drink to release oils and garnish drink with peel.
mixing glass, bar spoon, cocktail strainer