- 4 slices of hearty bread, such as French pain au levain or sourdough
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium clove garlic split in half, and 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shucked corn kernels from about 2 ears corn
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
Preheat broiler to high and adjust rack to 6 inches below element. Brush bread slices on all sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rub with split garlic clove on all surfaces. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan and broil until golden brown and toasted on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and broil until second side is toasted, about 2 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium cast iron or non-stick skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add corn and cook without moving until well charred on first side, about 4 minutes. Flip and toss and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until well toasted on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a medium bowl.
Add minced garlic, mayonnaise, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and lime juice. Add cilantro and scallions, reserving some for garnish. Toss corn to combine and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
Mash avocado with the back of a fork in a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread bread with mashed avocado, top with corn and radishes, sprinkle with remaining cilantro and scallions, and serve.