- 1 quart vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 quarts low sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
Heat vegetable oil in a wok or deep-sided cast iron skillet until it registers 300°F on an instant read thermometer. Add plantains and cook, turning occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occsionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and plantains. Cook, mashing plantains occasionally, until plantains are broken down and soup is thickened, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and serve.
wok or high-sided cast iron skillet.