Note: Ceviche is best when it's served within 5 to 30 minutes after marinating. Use the freshest fish available. Medium shrimp or scallops cut into 1/2-inch chunks can be substituted for fish.
- 1 pound fresh ocean fish such as sea bass, grouper, or striped bass, cut into 1/4-inch slices (see note)
- 1/2 cup lemon, lime, or sour orange juice, or a combination
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, ribs and seeds removed, rinsed, and finely minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine fish, juice, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño in a large bowl and gently fold with your hands to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes, folding occasionally. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately with boiled corn and sweet potatoes, if desired.