When my sweet tooth takes hold, I want my desserts to be stuffed, sugary, dippable, and dripping. I want big flavor in small packages, and I want it fast. That's why these sweet wontons became an instant favorite of mine, and they come together in just 30 minutes.
Why this recipe works:
- Pre-made wonton wrappers keep prep time down.
- A simple mix of cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract lends cheesecake flavor to the filling without any fuss.
- Sealing the wrappers with egg wash prevents the filling from leaking.
Note: The wontons continue to crisp and brown slightly after removing from oil, so take them out just before they reach the perfect golden color.
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (about 7 ounces) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 24 store-bought wonton wrappers
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade dulce de leche
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 quart vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, vanilla extract, and 2/3 cup sugar until smooth and well-combined. In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1/3 cup water.
Place wonton wrappers on a work surface and cover with a moist kitchen towel. Working one wonton at a time, lay out a wonton wrapper and place 1 heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in center. Moisten the edges of the wrappers with a fingertip dipped in the egg wash mixture.
Fold one corner of the wrapper over to create a triangle. Moisten the two side corners of the triangle with egg wash and cross them over the center of the wonton. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat until all of the wontons have been sealed, and cover with a lightly dampened kitchen towel. Set aside.
Toss the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon in a paper bag. Set aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, combine the dulce de leche, Nutella, and heavy cream. Cover with a paper plate and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir well. Continue to microwave and stir in 15 second intervals until pourable and smooth. Keep warm.
Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed cast iron pan, wok, or deep fryer to 350°F. Add wontons to the oil in batches of 4 and fry, turning and agitating constantly until just beginning to turn golden, about 30 seconds. Place the fried wontons on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil. Transfer to the bag with the cinnamon sugar and toss to coat. Transfer wontons to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat until all of the wontons are cooked.
Serve immediately with Nutella dipping sauce.