- 12 ounces Oaxacan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, removed from casings if stuffed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 ounces shiitake or cremini mushrooms, scrubbed clean and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 10 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon zest from 1 lime
- Kosher salt
Place cheese in a medium bowl and toss with cornstarch until evenly coated. Set aside.
Place chorizo in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add in onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and mushrooms have reduces in size, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in evaporated milk, scraping bottom of pan to release any fond, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add in cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in cilantro and lime zest. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.