In this quick, easy, and delicious one-pot dinner, chicken breasts are seared, then gently cooked in an herb-filled tomato sauce with chickpeas and hearty kale. Topped with crunchy, seasoned breadcrumbs, this rustic meal comes together in 45 minutes.
Why this recipe works:
- Browning the chicken first adds both color and flavor to the outside
- Stirring in the kale and chickpeas at the end prevents them from becoming too soft
- Toasting the breadcrumbs in the pan before searing the chicken avoids the need to dirty other pots.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or grated with a Microplane
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Pinch of dried red chili flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or store-bought, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups lacinato (Tuscan) kale, stems removed and leaves cut into 2-inch ribbons
Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the breadcrumbs and toast them, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, and the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Transfer breadcrumbs to plate and set aside.
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken and sear on both sides until golden-brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add chili flakes and remaining 1 tablespoon each oregano and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, their liquid and the stock and bring to a simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Simmer until sauce has thicken slightly, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas and kale and cook until chickpeas are warmed through and kale is wilted, about 2 minutes. Top with the breadcrumbs and serve immediately.