This savory bread pudding is filled with ground chicken, leeks, shiitake mushrooms, and a sprinkling of white wine. It's fully make-ahead: assemble in advance and it's ready to bake immediately or the next day.
Why this recipe works:
- A simple but savory mixture of leeks, chicken, and mushrooms with cheese makes this strata the perfect meal for a hearty brunch or a light lunch or dinner.
- Easy make-ahead assembly means that this is a dish that's ready to serve when you are, whether it's a Tuesday night dinner or a lazy Sunday brunch.
Notes: To cut the leek into half moons, slice in half vertically, place each piece cut side down, and slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek (about 10 ounces), white and light green part sliced into 1/2-inch half moons (see note)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, washed, trimmed, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces hearty French bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add leek, mushrooms, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened and are beginning to turn golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add chicken and cook until just cooked through, breaking up into pieces with wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
Whisk eggs, yolks, and cornstarch in large bowl until homogenous and lump-free. Whisk in half and half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne.
Add cooled chicken mixture, cheese, and bread cubes to milk mixture. Gently toss to combine. Pour into greased 3 quart casserole dish, cover, and let sit at least 2 hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F. Unwrap dish and bake until golden and center is just set, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.
3 quart casserole dish