Inspired by the flavors of a roast chicken dinner—the chicken stuffed with cloves of garlic, lemons, and thyme, and served alongside mushrooms and mashed potatoes—this homemade popcorn is meant to evoke the essence of a familiar, comforting meal.
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 ounce dried mushrooms, such as cremini
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, popped (about 8 cups popped)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Kosher salt
In an electric spice grinder or high-power blender, combine nutritional yeast, dried mushrooms, lemon zest, garlic powder, and thyme and blend until a fine powder forms.
Place popped popcorn in a large mixing bowl and drizzle melted butter all over, tossing to coat evenly. Add about 1/4 cup seasoning mixture, tossing to coat evenly; add more, if necessary, until popcorn is well coated (leftover seasoning mixture can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days). Season with salt and serve. Popcorn can be stored at room temperature in a zipper-lock bag overnight.
electric spice grinder or high-power blender