Why It Works
- Crunchy, salty popcorn contrasts the sweet and creamy cajeta in its many forms.
The various elements of this sundae can be prepared over the course of a week, then assembled in a few minutes flat. The sweet toffee flavor and creamy consistency of the cajeta ice cream pairs well with the salty crunch of popcorn, but you can use whatever sort of topping you prefer, from peanuts to pretzels.
- 1 recipe Cajeta Ice Cream
- 1 recipe Cajeta Casera, warmed (see note)
- 1 recipe Cajeta Whipped Cream
- 1 ounce salted popcorn (1 cup; 30g) or other crunchy topping
Before starting, freeze parfait glasses until frosty. Divide ice cream into as many portions as you prefer, dunking the ice cream scoop in hot water from time to time to ensure a clean release. Drizzle each with a few tablespoons of warm cajeta, then top with a generous dollop of Cajeta Whipped Cream. Sprinkle with salted popcorn or other topping and serve immediately.
Parfait dishes, ice cream scoop
The ice cream and cajeta sauce can be prepared up to a month in advance, while the cajeta whipped cream will keep for a week in the fridge. Leftover cajeta can be saved for saucing other desserts, or used as a filling for alfajores.