You wouldn't think that citrus and coffee would go together, but we absolutely love this cocktail from Tradition in San Francisco, which brings together Jameson and chicory-infused rye whiskey.
- For the Chicory-Infused Rye:
- 6 ounces rye whiskey, such as Bulleit
- 1/2 tablespoon ground chicory
- For the Coffee Syrup:
- 6 ounces strong coffee or espresso
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- For the Cocktail:
- 1 ounce Jameson Irish whiskey
- 1 ounce chicory-infused rye
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 ounce freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange
- 3/4 ounce coffee syrup
- 1/2 ounce egg white
- 1/2 ounce soda
- Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
For the Chicory-Infused Rye: mix rye and chicory in a resealable glass jar, seal, and shake well. Let infuse overnight, then fine-strain and reseal.
For the Cofee Syrup: stir sugar into coffee until dissolved. Let cool before using.
For the Cocktail: To make the cocktail, add Jameson, chicory-infused rye, lemon juice, orange juice, coffee syrup, and egg white to a mixing glass. Fill with ice, shake hard until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Pour into Irish coffee glass and top with soda. Garnish with nutmeg and serve immediately.
resealable jar, cocktail shaker and strainer