Note: Exclude the anchovies to make this a vegetarian sandwich.
- 2 (12-ounce) bunches broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, chopped (See Notes)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest and 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 Bosc pear, stemmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 (6-inch) pieces Italian bread, halved lengthwise
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
Bring 3 quarts water to boil in large pot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain and let rest until cool enough to handle, 3 to 5 minutes. Coarsely chop broccoli rabe.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli rabe, anchovies, garlic, lemon zest, and Aleppo pepper and sautée 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat panini press according to manufacturer’s instructions, or heat large skillet over medium-high heat.
Arrange bottom portions of each bread piece on cutting board and layer as follows: 1 ounce cheese, 1/4 of pear slices, 1/4 of broccoli rabe, and additionally 1 ounce cheese. Top each piece with remaining bread.
Brush both sides of each sandwich with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and cook on panini press or skillet (press down with spatula and turn over halfway through cooking if using skillet) until golden and cheese is melted. Serve.
panini press or large skillet, large pot, strainer