This moist blueberry cake has a buttery crumb topping. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries, making it a perfect choice for breakfast year-round.
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried blueberries
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For the Cake:
- Baking spray
- 1 1/2 cups (about 7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (about 7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
For the Crumb Topping: Combine sugar and brown sugar in medium bowl. With fingertips, rub lemon zest into sugar until mixture is moist. Whisk in flour, salt, and dried blueberries. With fork, stir in melted butter; reserve.
For the Cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8- by 8-inch baking pan with foil, allowing some excess to hang over sides. Coat with baking spray.
Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl; reserve. Combine milk and vanilla in liquid measuring cup; reserve.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Stir in blueberries.
Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over batter. Bake until tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Transfer cake to cooling rack and cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove cake with sling and transfer directly to rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
8- by 8-inch baking pan, foil, electric mixer, rubber spatula