Cheese smørrebrød (Danish open-faced sandwiches) are eaten to conclude a meal. This version with tangy blue cheese, mellow pear, and toasted hazelnuts is sweet without being cloying.
Note: If you cannot access rugbrød, substitute bread with a dark, whole grain rye.
- 1 slice rugbrød (dense Danish sourdough rye bread), about 1/3-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 1/4 pear, cut thinly lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons Danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons toasted hazelnuts, chopped
If not already trimmed, cut rye bread to a 3- by 5-inch rectangle.
Spread butter evenly all over top side of bread.
Arrange pear slices on bread so that they overlap slightly. Top with crumbled blue cheese and finish with toasted hazelnuts. Serve right away.