Why It Works
- Marinating is mostly a surface treatment, so even an hour is enough to get plenty of flavor onto the meat.
- Salty ingredients in the marinade help the beef retain moisture during grilling.
Black Diamond steak is a type of pre-marinated steak sold by Tyson. This recipe re-creates those deep, dark, savory flavors with plenty of soy sauce, Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, and onion and garlic powders.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (90ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (90ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- About 2 to 3 pounds (900g to 1.4kg) steak of your choice
In a large zipper-lock bag, combine Worcestershire, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and a generous grinding of black pepper.
Add steak to bag, press out air, and seal. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. When ready to cook, remove steak from marinade, blot dry with paper towels, and grill as desired.