This homemade play on Arby's Beef n' Cheddar sandwich—a roast beef sandwich blanketed in cheese sauce—is made with a full-flavored sharp Cheddar-cheese sauce and gets some extra oomph from a bracing, nose-clearing horseradish sauce.
Why this recipe works:
- The cheese sauce is incredibly smooth and full-flavored, thanks to the inclusion of sharp cheddar, cornstarch, and evaporated milk.
- Homemade horseradish sauce provides a bracing, nose-clearing counterpoint to the rich and gooey cheese sauce and tender beef.
- For the Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons Frank's Red Hot or other hot sauce
- For the Roast Beef and Buns:
- 1 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 4 pretzel buns or other rolls, split
- For the Horseradish Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Cheddar Cheese Sauce: Add grated cheese and cornstarch to a large bowl, and toss until combined. Transfer to medium-sized saucepan. Pour in 1 cup evaporated milk and the hot sauce. Cook over low heat, whisking occasionally, until sauce is bubbly and homogenous, about 5 minutes. It will thicken considerably as it warms up. Keep warm, thinning cheese sauce with additional evaporated milk if it becomes too thick.
Meanwhile, for the Beef and Buns: Adjust racks to upper middle and lower positions and preheat oven to 300°F. Place roast beef slices in a heatproof dish, cover with aluminum foil, set on the bottom rack, and cook until warmed through, about 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, wrap buns in aluminum foil, set on top rack, and cook until warmed, about 5 minutes.
For the Horseradish Sauce: Add sour cream, horseradish, chives, and lemon juice to a medium-sized bowl. Stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Smear the cut-side of the bun bottoms with horseradish sauce, and top each with 1/4-pound of the sliced meat. Drizzle with some of the cheddar sauce and then crown with top bun halves. Serve immediately.