Why It Works
- Chopped chocolate is a mix of big chunks, little shards, and fine powder, flavoring the dough itself.
- Milk cuts the richness of cream, keeping the scones light in both taste and texture.
- Using more cream than butter gives these scones more lactose, helping them brown and crisp along the bottom.
- A sprinkling of toasted sugar, while optional, adds a crunchy caramel note.
These super-simple scones come together faster than you can preheat an oven, so pause to enjoy a cup of coffee before mixing up the dough. The scones are fluffy but crumbly and only lightly sweetened, making the pockets of creamy milk chocolate a welcome contrast. I'm fond of Valrhona's Caramélia 36%, made with caramel instead of sugar for added depth and a slightly bitter edge.
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups, spooned; 255g), plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt; for table salt, use half as much by volume or use the same weight
- 2 ounces cold unsalted butter (4 tablespoons; 55g), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces roughly chopped milk chocolate (1 cup; 170g)
- 2 ounces milk (1/4 cup; 55g), any percentage will do
- 6 ounces heavy cream (3/4 cup; 170g)
- Toasted or turbinado sugar, to taste (see note)
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 400°F (204°C). Sift flour into a medium bowl, then whisk in baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter and toss to break up the pieces, then smash each one flat between your fingertips. Continue smashing and rubbing until butter disappears into a coarse meal. Add milk chocolate and toss to combine, then stir in milk and cream to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-inch round. Cut into 6 wedges with a chef’s knife, sprinkle generously with toasted or turbinado sugar, and arrange on a parchment-lined half sheet pan. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. If you like, serve with clotted cream and strawberry jam, or a spoonful of Super-Thick and Fruity Whipped Cream.